Friday, February 25, 2011

Miami the train wreck

This story is a quick blast from the past. An episode from when we were still together. One of the first incidents that signaled the beginning of the end. Enter... Miami, the train wreck.

Crazy and I decided to spend my spring break in Miami visiting a friend. What a good idea it seemed. Sun, beaches, relaxation-- how could you go wrong? Throw in some booze, some rain, an argument, and a train, and I'll tell you how it could go wrong.

Throughout the trip Crazy and I had begun to feel a 'lil tension. Mostly Crazy was bitter that I wasn't paying as much attention to him as he wanted, plus Crazy was always coming up with strange conspiracy theories. One rainy night out dancing in Miami, Crazy indulged in one of his theories. Crazy and I were out dancing in a club when we started to argue. The argument progressed from the dance floor to a back ally, where it started to rain. Awesome. Take a moment now to picture what's about to unfold. I'm sitting on a chair, in an ally in Miami, crying in the rain at 2:00 a.m., while Crazy stands across from me, pacing and arguing back.

Suddenly, my cell phone rings. Enter-one of Crazy's many conspiracy theories. Crazy is certain that I was in cahoots with the caller, my friend who was hosting us, stating that I surely timed his call so that I would have an excuse to leave early in case we got into an argument. So I somehow arranged ahead of time for my friend to call at 2:00 a.m. exactly in case we were arguing in that exact moment. Right...

A slight rumble signaled the next part of the story, the train. Nearby the ally there was a train track- A train track which apparently traveled at all hours of night, including 2:00 a.m. (much like I apparently receive drunk visitors at all hours of the night... see prior posts). Crazy, who, to his credit, never missed an opportunity for an overly dramatic scene, decided to take advantage of this serendipitous train passing. Crazy began walking toward the train and threatened to jump in front of it. Now, when someone threatens to jump in front of a train, you can do one of three things. You can, 1) call their bluff (do it Crazy... I dare you, 2) try to stop them (because crap, what if they're serious), or 3) help them (nothing wrong with a helping hand). Regrettably, I didn't choose option three.

Instead, concerned that Crazy was actually crazy enough to jump in front of a moving train, I attempted to stop him. All 112lbs of me struggled to hold back 200+lbs of Crazy, who drunkenly insisted that he was going to do it. Eventually, my efforts resulted in Crazy giving up and agreeing not to end his life in the middle of the night during a drunken argument in Miami.

I made a lot of mistakes in the relationship, choosing option two was probably among the biggest.

1 comment:

  1. OMGOSH -- i knew things were bad back then, but I didn't know they were that bad. I was bummed I didn't get to see you that week in Miami, but now I'm just bummed that you chose #2. :-X

    ReplyDelete